Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On My Nightstand


    There are certain traits, loves or passions to every person that are constant through out their lives- for example I love coffee, sunshine and reading- I am passionate about these three things and aside from the coffee always have been. Reading informs who a person becomes- it fosters imagination and creativity- I would not be the person I am today with out the books I have read. My Mr. likes to read as well although our tastes differ immensely in literature- he really is into sci-fi escapism type books- I am really into non- fiction right now even though I do love a good novel! One thing we can always agree on is getting our kiddos involved in reading- not just bed time stories but an independent love of books- and so with out further delay is our picks for this month- AKA what's on our nightstands!


 Momma:
-Vancouver A History in Photographs by Aynsley Vogel & Dana Wyse- a photographic look at the constant changing face of our city- full of wonderful historical images and stories.
- Homegrown & Handmade by Deborah Niemann- this one is a constant reference guide for me weather I am planning seedlings or how to cast off a knitting project- basic and handy
-Handmade Home by Mark & Sally Bailey- a beautiful photo essay on living with handmade objects- a recent birthday gift full of inspiration
- Mother Earth News- an old favourite quarterly publication- chock full of practical advice an dreams of the country side

The Mr:
- The Vinyl Cafe Notebooks  by Stuart McLean- selections from fifteen years of radio show broadcasts- meditations on life to lighthearted opinions


Miss Lo:
-Mimi and Maty to the Rescue! Book 1- Rodger the Rat is on the Loose! by Brooke Smith- this is our bed time story right now- the one we are heading to her- the story is about a clever gal pet detective and her sidekick Maty the dog.
-Millie Fierce- by Jane Manning- Miss Lo's pick and her current fave about a quiet girl who longs to be noticed


The Boy:
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart- this is our bed time pick- about a gang of intrepid kids who must decipher clues to unravel a nefarious plot engulfing their town
- An Awesome Book! by Dallas Clayton- The Boy's current fave as it was read at his birthday party and is full of improbabilities and seemingly ridiculous scenarios- like owning matching silver ware- how crazy!

    I know I am not the only one who is fanatical about my reading- many of my friends are also book crazy- so what are you reading these days Friends? What is on your nightstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!