Friday, September 20, 2013

Simple Family Friday:Walking


      One of the best pieces of "advice" I have to give on keeping life simple is to walk- just walk. Why wait for a bus when you could walk? Have a problem? Go for a walk and participate in some simple meditation! Too many carbs (ahem) making your jeans tight? Ditch the car and walk! A walk can be so peaceful and connecting.

     There are so many discoveries to be made on a daily walk- on our walks to an from school we are witnessing the changing of the seasons- the leaves are starting to turn colour and fall, the light is changing- when one walks one has the time to luxuriate in these changes. Even in the city nature is everywhere- waking is a great way to connect with it.

     We have all heard or more recently read that French women don't get fat- now I have never been to France but from what I hear the French female figure can be partially contributed to all the walking that the French do. To the schools, markets, grocery shops- the French walk everywhere and then they can eat all those delicious little croissant!

      I find that if life is getting too hectic or I am just feeling overwhelmed a good walk puts everything back in it's place. Nothing beats trying to work out a sewing pattern or project problem like a good solitary walk does.

       Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention the obvious environmental benefits of walking- leaving the car at home forces us to do a few things- first of all when on foot we tend to stay more localized- a little closer to home means we are spending money in our communities. We also tend to buy less- when on foot I always consider a large scale purchase- how would I get this giant mirror home for example- which inevitably leads to the question- do I really need it- not so much as it often turns out! Saving the gas and miles on the car for when we really need it not only benefits the environment but our waistlines as well!

     Friends it is Friday yet again! I am super excited to do not much of anything this weekend- waffles and coffee are a possibility and a trip to Bird on a Wire over on Main Street to visit with the creator of Rice Babies is a most definite! If you are in the Main St area Kellie will be the artist in the window from 11- 4 on Saturday! Friends I hope you all have a wonderful weekend- may some magic land in your path and if not there is always more coffee! Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. The benefits of walking is something I've been giving plenty of thought recently. We're trying to make the time to walk to school. The positive changes to our day when we walk amaze me.

    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself over at my blog. It's lovely to 'meet' you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how a good walk solves so many problems!

      And thank you in return for popping over here to my space! Lovely to "meet" you too!

      Delete
  2. The benefits of walking is something I've been giving plenty of thought recently. We're trying to make the time to walk to school. The positive changes to our day when we walk amaze me.

    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself over at my blog. It's lovely to 'meet' you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!