Friday, September 12, 2014

Favourite Cake Friday


Cousin Laura's Blueberry Muffins

The Goods

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest and juice of 1 orange
1 large egg- slightly beaten
2/3 cup veg oil
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2 cups berries

The Deal

whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla as well as orange zest and juice

combine dry goods in another bowl and fold in berries

with a light hand fold in wet ingredients- do not over mix
    - this is a very dry, cake like mix

fill each muffin cup to almost full

bake about 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven
     - if using frozen berries bake about 3-5 minutes longer


        We have a freezer full of blueberries- and we have all ready started indulging in some of our favourite recipes- like this one- shared with me years ago by dear cousin Laura! I make this recipe at least once a week and it never fails to disappoint! If you don't happen to have an orange on hand a lemon will do nicely in a pinch- slightly tweaking the flavour in a favourable way! I hope you enjoy this as much as we do- even though it is not a cake per say!

       Dear Friends it is Friday again- September is just flying by- to which I am sure many of my stay at home Mum friends here in BC are rolling their eyes! The children will go back to school- eventually- all will return to normal- until then I am trying my best to enjoy this extra time with my Littles! Keep calm everyone- grab that extra cask of wine and have a super wonderful weekend! Happy Friday Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Sherilyn. We are certainly lucky to have the lovely blueberries right now.. We are freezing a bunch too. I will try out this recipe - looks yummy!

    It's really frustrating seeing this teachers' strike go on. While it doesn't affect me directly, it's still maddening to see what's happening to public education here!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacher's strike is so frustrating- it's quite saddening to witness what is becoming of our public schools- I'm hoping a resolution comes swiftly- although I am not holding my breath!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!